Sunday, November 29, 2009

xkcd - Duty Calls; Can't sleep - Someone is _WRONG_ on the Internet

I was going to write about blog commenting on libertarian skepticism of human causes of global warming.




But, I will not whine about libertarian skepticism of human causes of global warming.


A traditional representation of The Vinegar Ta...Image via Wikipedia
I want to write about where I am led by considering Neo-Confucianist Wang Yangming and his conception of "Knowledge as Action".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Yangming#Knowledge_as_action

Denying Knowledge exists without corresponding action now, or corresponding actions in our current repertoire, or corresponding habits.

Hey, why would I comment on anything:

There are two conditions: either I am working on the problem, or not.

1) I am already working on the problem, to the best of my ability, commensurate with the resources available to me.  And I am commenting as part of that work, not wasting time on commenting that would be better spent on action.

2) No work - commenting to massage my ego

3) No work - commenting to signal my wonderfulness

4) No work - commenting to try to shame others

And not just commenting, also reading news about subjects that I am not really in a position to make a positive contribution.

There are two conditions: either I am working on the problem, or not.

1) I am already working on the problem, to the best of my ability, commensurate with the resources available to me.  And I am reading more as part of that work, not wasting time on reading that would be better spent on action.

2) No work - reading to massage my ego

3) No work - reading to regurgitate later, to signal my wonderfulness


Into the future but not without the pastImage by janusz l via Flickr
Also commenting and reading can be a form of time wasting and distraction and managing my mood (maybe indulging and nurturing a set of needy anxieties).

More opportunities for practice what I already know to be the best for me.  That may be why right-wingers can be so much more effective than left-wingers, because right-wingers will concentrate on mastering themselves just enough to "make their nut", where left-wingers may concentrate exclusively on external powers.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: