Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Good news and Bad news on Parenting, from Bryan Caplan

Bryan Caplan in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Many of us worry that our nation will pay a heavy price in years to come because modern parents are shirking their responsibilities to the next generation. If you combine the results from time diaries and behavioral genetics, however, you get a different picture. It turns out that there is some really good news and some mildly bad news. The really good news is that we can stop worrying about the horrible fate of the next generation. The bad news is that parents today are making large "investments" in their children that are unlikely to pay off.
My comment:
I will remind myself to teach my daughter the tools to achieve her own goals, per her own morality, any present my morality only through my example.

No comments: