Monday, October 5, 2020

race on the brain

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/archives/2010/10/racism.html

I would much rather deal with racists than people who have "race on the brain".
I am not interested in searching the world for people free of racism, because it is hard to imagine people who *really* don't allow race to inform *any* judgement whatsoever.  I have met some children and adults who I would guess come very close, but so very very few to make the effort not worthwhile.
So I would much rather deal with racists, because, honestly, I must judge myself a racist.
I *do* have a problem with people who have "race on the brain" -- when the topic of race comes up they are reduced to blithering idiocy and vile reactionary tribalism.  White males haven't cornered the market on this particular form of idiocy -- it is embarrassing when Latino candidates win office on nothing more than their publicized ethnicity (such as the insubstantial Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, aka Tony Villar).
Political correctness makes physical and verbal violence against traditionally disadvantaged groups less likely, and that is good, but it cannot do much to lesson "race on the brain" on both sides of the racial divide.  Only the self-imposed discipline of critical thinking can do that, and people get too much pleasure from their vile reactionary tribalism to self constrain their thought.

No comments: